Citing “reliable sources”, the publication notes that the iPhone 6’s cover glass will sit flush with the device’s rounded corners, departing from the straight edges seen on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. The report likens the device’s profile to the Squair Curvaceous Bumper, a Japan-made aluminum bumper for the iPhone that features a rounded housing.
The report also claims that Apple will do away with the rear glass antenna breaks found on the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5s in favor of an all-aluminum design. Such a move would likely mean that Apple is incorporating significant changes to its overall antenna layout, perhaps positioning current radios in different locations.
Throughout the past few months, various reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 may feature slightly rounded edges. However, only a few reports have claimed that the device will feature a curved glass display, with Bloomberg noting last December that the company was working on two iPhones with large curved screens for this year. That account however was contrasted by The Wall Street Journal this past January, which said that Apple would not be using a curved display in its devices.
Apple will likely unveil the iPhone 6 later this year in two different sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. It is also likely that the smaller 4.7-inch version of the phone will ship first in the third quarter of this year, while the larger version is estimated to ship later due to challenges with the device’s display technology and battery life.
In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include a thinner, bezel-free design, faster A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor and an upgraded camera with optical image stabilization. The device is also expected to debut with Apple’s latest iOS 8 mobile operating system, which will likely feature enhancements to Maps, Siri, and iCloud in addition to a new “Healthbook” app. Apple is also said to be negotiating with carriers to increase the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.
Recent Mac and iOS Blog Stories
• Apple: iPad Sales at High End of 'Internal Expectations', 2/3 of Users New to Device
• iTunes by the Numbers: 800M Accounts, $5.2B in Billings, 70B App Downloads
• Tim Cook: Apple's Shares 'Undervalued', Expansion of Share Buyback Program 'Shows Confidence'
• Catcher to Supply Apple With iPhone 6 Casings as Sales Estimates Climb to 70 Million
• Viber Updates iOS App with Redesigned User Interface, Multiple Media Sharing
• New Renders Show Off 'iPhone 6s' and 'iPhone 6c' Concepts
• Steve Jobs' Infamous Temper Lives on at Apple in Bug-Wrangler Kim Vorrath
• Apple Releases AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.7.3 With Heartbleed Fix